Digital & IT
Published: May 19, 2020 | Updated: May 19, 2020
Poole Mumbler website and online community speaks up for families during pandemic crisis
A free website and online community for families created by a Poole mum is proving a hit during the Covid-19 crisis.
Poole Mumbler was founded by Maria Vargas in August 2018 but was badly affected when social distancing came into force.
All the businesses Maria had been working with were forced to close or else had to find a way of managing their sales online.
Financial pressures also led to many advertisers taking a temporary breather.
But Maria, 38, said: “Mumbler is all about community and I knew there was a lot I could do to support local families and businesses.
“There’s a mum or dad behind many of our local businesses and I’m committed to supporting them.”
Among Maria’s initiatives:
- A virtual classes and groups section so local businesses can promote their classes.
- A section with local shops delivering food so families who prefer not to go out can have their groceries delivered at home.
- Free online classes and activities for everyone on the site’s calendar so families who are struggling financially don’t miss out. They include yoga classes for kids and adults, art classes, story time for toddlers, and even nature inspired activities for kids.
- Competitions so families can get involved and have something to look forward to when the lockdown is over.
- Blogs about extraordinary people doing amazing things during these difficult times.
Maria, whose children are six and four, said she launched Poole Mumbler with a mission to make family life easier in Dorset.
She added: “I didn’t have a virtual classes section or ‘Poole families dealing with Covid-19’.
“I had to adapt recently and create this space for businesses
“Busy mums can find anything they need on my website. From pregnancy to teens and all in one place.
“We also have a lovely and supportive community group on Facebook.
“All local mums, dads, grandparents and carers are welcome.”
Maria, who was born in Colombia, South America and is married to a Scot, is one busy person.
Apart from Poole Mumbler, she’s also taken her passion for nourishing food to the next level with her own blog.
@notjustfishfingers includes recipe ideas for meals and snacks as well as weekly meal plans for everyone, especially little food critics!